The Goal

My goal is to reach the very rarely seen 500,000 miles on my TSX.DSC04776
The car has held up very well so far as you can see by these pics I took on 9/6/13.DSC04775

The car has never been in a collision, & has all the original sheet metal, bumpers, lights & paint. There has been absolutely no exterior or interior repairs or reconditioning (The only exception being that I reconditioned my headlight lenses about a year ago).DSC04778

I’ve kept the car pretty much OEM stock with no mechanical mods whatsoever.DSC04777

The seat leather has held up exceptionally well. Check out the driver seat!The car is always garaged when not in use which I feel plays a huge part in keeping the seats and dash from aging and cracking. I have also put a quality window tint on & that helps a lot as well.DSC04812I haven't cleaned the inside in a while. It needs a good interior detail. & I definitely need new floor mats!

• I haven’t cleaned the inside in a while. It needs a good interior detail. & I definitely need new floor mats!

Believe it or not, I still have the blue protective plastic on the door scuff plates on all four  doors from the day I took delivery of the car when it only had 3 miles on it. The detailer at the dealership forgot to take them off when going thru the car for delivery & well, I kinda forgot about them before I gave the car to Josie (my wife). Then it became a running joke because I kept forgetting to remove them. By that point the blue kinda grew on me & now the detailers at Lyle Pearson Acura have standing orders not to remove the blue plastic on my scuff plates as it may put them in a life threatening situation. Call me weird, but these blue plastic covers are one of my favorite personality traits of my car. They remind me of the day I bought it and drove it down to Temecula, CA where Josie was staying at the time & thinking about how exactly to surprise my Bride to Be with the car. Anyway… a full paragraph about plastic scuff protectors should suffice. Moving on…DSC04804

The only Mods, or aftermarket parts on the car are basically a few light bulbs. I was looking to see If I could find some reverse lights that were a bit brighter than the stock bulbs. I found these on Ebay & I have to admit, they are easily 10 time brighter than the original bulbs. They’re almost like mini headlights back there. DSC04781

I also stumbled across these LED spider tail light bulbs. I thought they were kinda cool so I got them as well. DSC04783

The only other thing was Bugs. I’m cruising up on 39 years old & grew up watching the old Looney Tunes Cartoons. I now have them on DVD for when my son Luke (currently 9 months old) is old enough to watch them & hopefully enjoy them as much as I did as a kid.

DSC04802

DSC04801So there it is. Our starting point for this journey. 374,917 miles so far. I have about 90% of my maintenance records from the past, posted on here & I’ll continue to post all the upcoming maintenance logs until I hit my goal of 500,000 miles.

After that… well, I’m not sure really. I’ve thought about several options. Maybe saving it for my son? Turning it into a track car? Going for a million miles? All I know right now is that I’ve got the next couple years to think about it.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The Goal

Nice to see that the swarm of bugs came off the front end with relative ease! Man, that thing shines up like a new dime. Or even a quarter. Gorgeous car and if I had to wager a guess, I’d say it looks like a 74k mile car and not a 374k mile car. It will continue to turn heads all the way to 500k and beyond, I’m sure. The blue plastic on the door sills = awesome.

2. pawela says:

Josh, I got quite a kick out of the blue protective plastic on the sills. Your interior is super mint! Keep it up and I bet it will look as nice at 500K.

Nice car. I also have a 2005 Acura TSX. The premium white pearl paint is specially nice in person under direct sunlight as you can see the shiny pearl specs sparkle. Also, i believe white cars are the best and easiest cars to maintain over the long run.

I agree Carlos. I’m quite fond of the pearl white. Other manufacturers whites are not as crisp. Some of the older infiniti’s have that milky looking pearls. & with driving so much, the dealer washes the car for me every month plus on saturday mornings they wash customer cars for free. So I rarely have to wash mine. Just the interior once in a while to keep it nice since I’m practically living in it.

4. guillermo says:

Great Blog! I have the same car (color and year, but mine does not have the navigation) and I love driving it. At only 135k I feel like I want to keep it for 500k! So far nothing major, my transmission makes a noise that nobody knows what it is (most likely a bearing) but works perfect. A mechanic that does transmissions told me he never had to rebuild a TSX.
    At any rate, congratulations on your blog, will be checking it periodically!

Thanks Guillermo. Mine is still fun to drive as well & still has the original shocks. I love the mountain runs when they come up! You might like looking thru all my maintenance records I put up. It should give you an Idea as to how long stuff could last on you car. It’s an fun car to put 500k on if you can keep yourself from buying a new one. There were a couple years where I was really wanting to buy a new one and the excuse was that the newer ones play mp3 and have plug ins for players and such. Any excuse is a good excuse right? But I pushed past it & very glad I still have the ol TSX.

Guillermo:

Do you have an automatic transmission? I believe my car is making the same transmission noise that your car is making. Does the transmission noise sound sort of like marbles being shaken in a tin can? Is the noise only there while your car is in park or neutral? Does the noise disappear when you put the car in gear and start driving? Other than the noise, does it shift fine?

Josh:

Have you heard the transmission sound that I have described above?

No Carlos. I haven’t heard anything like those noises. Crazy. The Acura techs can’t figure it out?

• guillermo says:

Carlos, yes, it’s an automatic and I am not sure how to describe the noise, really, but it is more evident when parked and in Neutral (or in P) When driving it actually becomes somewhat pleasant, as you speed it sounds more like a turbo. Sometimes, when I let go the gas, it becomes silent. I now other people have the same issue, but I have a neighbor that owns a 2004 tsx and hers is dead quiet! you don’t even hear her coming. So it’s not that all our cars have the same issue. Again, the gearbox works great, smooth as silk, so I am planning on keep driving it until something happens.(when I bought the car the noise annoyed me, but now I just got used to it.

Josh, thanks for the response. The audio system of our cars is really good. I don’t really care for the new models with all kinds of inputs and such, and I don’t believe there’s a better looking interior than the parchment from the first generation TSX. (well, perhaps some bmw). So, glad you did not sell it! I think that if a car does not burn oil or give you trouble, best thing is to keep it. Acuras are solid and very well built, so they can last longer without showing wear -unlike hondas-. All the best!

• Carlos says:

Guillermo:

I think we are referring to TWO different kinds of noises that transmission is making.

The noise you are referring to I have had almost since car is new. It is sort of like a whine or coffee pot whine or hot water whine you hear when coffee or water is hot and steam starts coming out of coffee pot. You will hear it at speeds past 30mph. It will go away when you take your foot off the gas. But I don’t hear this noise when car is stationary or in park. You hear this same noise when car is stationary?

I asked Josh to look at his car and listen for noise I describe below.

Can you also take some time to listen if you have this specific noise?

The transmissions of our cars are right behind the driver’s side front wheel.

One evening, when it is quiet and there is no traffic around you and the car has been driven and is warm can you try the following in your house or driveway?

1) Lower your driver’s door side window.

2) Open your driver’s car door

3) With the engine turned on and the transmission in park, listen to how the car sounds.

4) While the door is still open, shift the car to drive but keep the foot on the brake and don’t move the car. Does the car sound different? Was there a noise or noises that were apparent in park that are not apparent when the car is in drive but stationary with the foot on the brake?

5) Try the same thing with the car in neutral and listen to it. Then shift it drive but keep the foot on the brake and don’t move it. Are there faint rattling or grinding noises that you hear in neutral that go away once you put it in drive?

Thanks for any input you can give me.

I have taken it to several Honda and Acura specialists. Nobody knows the exact part inside the transmission that is making noise. Nobody knows what it is but it is not the first time they hear it. It is internal. But it does not affect the shifting or performance of the transmission in any way.

I asked several Honda and Acura specialists if they have seen and heard this problem on other TSX cars like mine. They said yes. I also asked them if it is something that has stranded drivers on the road. They said no. This information coincides with what the mechanic told Guillermo in the post above me. I have been driving it like this now for more than 8000 miles. It has shifted and performed perfectly every single time during this period.

The noise cannot be heard when you are in gear and driving. It is only audible when the transmission is in park or in neutral. And it is more noticeable in the dead of night when it is quiet without any traffic around you.

Josh, can you do me a favor?

The transmissions of our cars are right behind the driver’s side front wheel.

1) Lower your driver’s door side window.

2) Open your driver’s car door

Thanks for any input you can give me.

7. clymerdude says:

OK Carlos, I printed out your instructions above and was listening for anything last night. I didn’t hear anything like you had mentioned. I’m going to try one further. I have a little digital audio recorder. I’ll try to make some time to record the trans shifting thru your instructions again in my driveway and try to figure out how to post an audio file on here for you & Guillermo to listen to. Hopefully it will be easy to post. But I’m still pretty new at this. So wish me luck.

Thank you Josh. I appreciate it.

9. fred says:

For the rattle noise (marbles in a tin can) have your mechanic check the exhaust heat shields. Hondas are notorious for it as they put shields on a good portion of the exhaust, not just the cat con like most manufacturers.