The Year’s Cruising to an End

2013 has been one of the hardest & draining years of my life, & I’m happy to see it come to an end! During the summer of 2012 an out of state construction company re-chip sealed a 7 mile stretch of State Highway out here. They cut some corners in the process and the end result was thousands of vehicles being damaged from the gravel coming loose and getting kicked into the front ends of any and all vehicles that traveled that road.  My son Luke was born on 12/9/12 & I got the call from this construction companies insurance carrier on 12/12/12 to do all of the inspections on this claim.

In the beginning I was happy & appreciative for the extra business. But it soon became clear that I had not even been close to my estimation of just how many units I’d be looking at. At one point I had hired 3 guys just to keep up with these rock chip inspections. The month of Feb alone our office looked at 497 units. All for this type of damage…DSC01369So far my office has processed over 2200 of these claims + my normal collision inspections for the year. I worked 7 days a week from Dec ’12 – April ’13 roughly 12-15 hrs a day. All of this in addition to being a first time parent, having corporate spring a new management system on us & then having to cover the eastern part of the state, as well as my normal territory.  I’ve lost more hair, gained more weight & had a general degrading of health & sleep this year than the last 10 combined. Needless to say, I will not be mourning the passing of 2013. But it wasn’t all bad. I have my beautiful son, I was able to get the princess her RDX & I was able to build my greenhouse and start dabbling into Aquaponics.

So now that my whining is out of the way, lets get to some of the last couple weeks highlights. During the holiday season, work tends to slow down some. Which has been a great contrast and relief compared to the last 12 months. (The rock chip claims are still going by the way & will likely continue until next summer. But at least the volume has come way down) Altho the number of assignments slows down some, with the change of weather brings some of the years greatest hits. Like this mid 90’s Ford Explorer that was over driving a snow covered road and rear ended a Truck hauling timber down the mountain.DSC00951The fire department had to use the jaws of life to cut this guy out. The driver did in fact walk away from this. He has a new limp, but he did walk away. DSC00953I had yet another trip to Salmon this last week.The roads were less than awesome. DSC01443DSC01440So it was pretty slow going getting there & back. An extra 2 hours round trip for the day. The mountains in Stanley always look spectacular in the winter! DSC02364 DSC02365It was also a little nippy out. The temp registered a balmy -8 degrees. Just about shorts weather. The TSX didn’t skip a beat and hummed right along. The lowest temp I’ve seen while driving the TSX has been -28 degrees thru this same pass. My windshield snapped that morning because I had the defroster on at 68 degrees. The glass didn’t handle the difference in tempurature too well i guess. DSC01441For the first time in 8 years, I finally saw some Big Horn Sheep outside Challis. The sun was starting to go down, so I’m glad the pictures came out as good as they did! Picture 016 Picture 012There was about 20 of them total. But the noise of the lite traffic kept pushing them further back from the road. So even with a 255mm lens, this is the closest I could get. I still always get a kick out of all the different types of animals I see in my travels in this state.

I’ll be getting a new set of tires this coming week & another oil change. I’m still trying to put some money aside for this coming Springs new AC  System. But for now we’re making some slow, but steady progress on the mileage. I’m guessing maybe around early Spring I’ll be hitting the big 400k!

This entry was posted in Scenic Attractions, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Year’s Cruising to an End

Negative 8 degrees? Good grief. So I admit, I had to google the word “aquaponics” to see what that was all about. Pretty neat! Agreed – 2013 has been a crazy year for me, too. At first glance, I couldn’t even tell that was an Explorer in the pics you posted on here – wowza. And that iced over road looks like a white knuckle driving experience. It’s been a couple of years since I drove in the snow. Don’t know if I’d trust myself anymore. I do remember many good times of snowy e-brake slides in my Legend in empty parking lots when I lived in northern Utah.

I’m so glad it’s almost over Tyson! I forgot to mention that I’m down to 3/32nds tread on my current tires & I didn’t have any problems getting there or back. Just took a while longer being careful. With new all season tires I can drive that stretch in it’s current condition just like in the summer. The TSX is very well balanced and I find that I have to actually try to get it to slide in the snow. I’m thinking about doing a post just on the greenhouse & my aquaponics set up. It’s been around forever, yet it surprises me how little people know about it.

-8 and -28 degrees in the TSX??? I didn’t know it went that low! Living in South Florida, I think my record low in the TSX is about 38F.

Way to rub it in Carlos… I’ve noticed that during our cold snap you guys are in the 70’s & 80’s. The hottest I’ve seen the temp gauge is 119 in Southern California.

Oh man. I am sorry. I did not mean to rub it in. I prefer colder temperatures. I meant to say that the last two years, temperatures in South Florida have been very warm during the WInter. The 38F that I registered was maybe 4 years ago. I wish i could get colder weather down here. I am always praying for a cold front.

4. clymerdude says:

haha. I was just busting your lugnuts Carlos. 🙂 If you really want a cold front, you could always come visit Boise. We get some serious cold sometimes, but it’s very dry out here. We don’t have that bone chilling damp cold here like back east. You should come check us out sometime.

5. Todd says:

I’m pretty new to your blogs, but how many miles do you drive per day?!

Hi Todd, I average about 4500 miles a month. So about 225 miles a day I guess. It really depends on where my assignments are. Some days I’ll only drive to see local cars and put 50 miles on the car. Then there’s other days (like a few posts ago) where I put over 700 miles on it in one day. It’s really a crap shoot.

Yeah. I may come one day to visit Boise But I think it will be in the Summer. 🙂 When I say I like cold fronts, I mean anything above 32F. I do not cope well with anything less than 30F. Several years ago I traveled to New York City in December. The air temperature was about 20F to 25F. I thought I would be prepared with the most clothing layers I have ever worn. What I did not anticipate was a 20 to 30 mph wind coming off the Hudson River and hitting me straight on. For sure the wind chill was below 0. OH MY GOD!!! Thankfully I was wearing thermal underwear but it was BRUTAL. I had only been in South Florida with 70 degree weather two days before.

I did not know there was a difference between damp cold and dry cold.

Did you register the -8 and -28 readings this year or where both readings made in the past years?

Yeah, there’s a huge difference in damp and dry cold. But you have to experience both to really appreciate the difference. The -8 was just the other week and the -28 was a few years ago. Both temps registered in the same mountain pass though. Instead of the summer you should come in the fall. It’s nicer all the way around!

Did the -8F register in downtown Boise or outside of Boise at a higher elevation than Boise?

8. clymerdude says:

It registered outside Boise up in the mountains. If you go to mapquest & look up Boise, ID. Go to the east side of town & find state highway 21. Follow it out past Idaho City and the really windy pass and past Lowman. Between Lowman & Stanley is where it gets this cold. Not sure of the elevation, but sure is cold out there.