500,000 Mile Compression & Dyno Test Results

FINALLY!!!20160706_082142

I’ve been so busy with work lately I haven’t had time for anything else. I’ve been trying to update this blog for weeks, with no luck. I still in fact have 2 reports to write up & 3 more I saw today. But it’s Friday night & it’s ME time. At least for now.

So it’s time to share the results from my recent compression test & dyno test on the TSX. We’ll start with the compression test. I’ve never had one done before, which would have been nice for a comparison, but, well….hind sight & all. So I’m told by my tech that for my TSX, optimum compression should be between 170psi (lowest) to 210psi (highest). Here’s the results…compression test

As you can see, Chris, during testing wrote in 175psi for cylinders 1&2, & 180psi for cylinders 3&4. Not bad. He said he was pretty surprised by the outcome of the test.

As for the Dyno test, well, that was also a new experience for me. I’ve never had one done before either. I’ve seen videos like everyone else I’m sure, so I kind of knew what to expect.

First, I had to locate a place to do it. Luckily I found one not to far away.20160722_133335

For a nominal $80, I had her tested. The guys here at Motor Mayhem were great. Jaime was the tech that helped me out with my test. It took him longer to secure the car than it did to actually do the test. 20160722_135539

20160722_140938For those out there that have never done a Dyno test before, it’s actually pretty cool. But if your vehicle is almost 12 years old, with the original drive train that currently has over 500,000 miles on it, add a little terror in the mix as well. So how it goes is that they secure your car over the rollers, hook it up to the computer & establish a baseline. Then they start to drive on the rollers until it hits 3rd gear to 3,000 rpm’s. At this point they hit a button on a remote & at the same time, floor the accelerator until redline. We did several runs & I’ll be honest, it was cool. But watching my car redline over & over was a little scary too. I kept waiting to hear an angry “POP” & weeze. But it never happened.

The video below is the last (& best) run we did. There was another guy in the background unfortunately doing some grinding, so it’s hard to hear the TSX. But standing right next to it in person, it was still pretty impressive. Even for a stock TSX. Check it out here…

dyno test1

As you can see on the Dyno Test print out above, the TSX is still putting out about 160hp. Which surprised me, as I was only expecting about 150hp. Not awesome numbers, but for my particular circumstances, not to shabby either! I was pleasantly surprised with both tests. She still has it!

It’s not all good news for the Old Girl though, I’ve been seeing an awful lot of this lately…20160715_141908

Sadly, I do believe the NAV has cashed in its chips. I may try getting another used disc to swap out to see if it makes a difference, but I’m not getting my hopes up. I’ve been using GoogleMaps on my phone the last couple weeks & beside draining my cell battery like a bucket with a hole in it, it’s been working pretty well.

Like I said, things have been busy & I’ve been stacking the miles on the TSX. She’s taking it like a champ so far. I’ll update again in a couple weeks when hopefully things slow down a little. I need to post the last few service invoices.

I also need to update on what I got from HeelToe. That will be coming soon as well!

I hope everyone is doing well out there & staying safe!

Shout out to euro_warmachine_r following me on Instagram from Orlando FL.

Sweet ride Man!DSC04516

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to 500,000 Mile Compression & Dyno Test Results

1. Midnight Mystery says:

Wow that’s a lot of driving latly!!!

So, 160hp, is that at the wheels? 200 at the crank is about 160-ish at the wheels I think… Either way, that’s good, really good!!!

I will attemp to watch the video now, very excited!!!

2. Tim says:

Wow… I’d freak out about putting my Accord on a dyno at 65k, let alone 500k+. As Midnight Mystery said, 160 at the wheels is really good. Cool post!

Thanks Tim. Yeah, it freaked me out a little.

• Midnight Mystery says:

160 at the wheels is what, 190 at the crank?

I think new, they Dyno 170-180 at the wheels, but 30HP drivetrain loss totally normal, so you’re still pretty on par with any 1st gen TSX… And I must say, they’re pretty quick, or atleast a 2004 Accord I drove last year…

“Not bad for an old girl,” indeed! I’m quite impressed with this performance, both on the compression test and on the dyno. Now, if we could just get one of these MANY TSX fans who follow your blog to dyno their stock (and LOW-mile) 1st gen TSX, we will know just how good a 160 number ends up being. Thanks for posting these! Keep on truckin’!

4. Very impressive! I wouldn’t be surprised if the 5AT cars dyno a bit lower than 6MT cars, as ATs have a tendency to rob a bit more power. Assuming a 15% loss which is pretty average for a Dynojet, that is amazing for 500k miles!!

5. Joe Dailey says:

VTEC still sounds sweet on this old lady.

6. JMaff says:

I saw the article referencing your car on a major car website and then saw 1A plates! This is awesome news and just goes to show how reliable the K24 motors are. We just paid off our 2012 Accord and I look forward to many years of reliable service. It’s also my 4th Honda product and those have all been very faithful and reliable (especially the mower). Wish I could say the same with the Escape we chose in 2002, but I’ve been hopeful for a new Bronco coming out.

Scary dyno test. What happens if car wheels spin off that dyno wheel? 😱

8. Shane says:

I have a white 2004 TSX which looks just like yours, I hope one day I can make the 500,000 mile mark. (currently at only 78,000 miles).

I was wondering how often you have your ATF Fluid changed? and do you know if you are still using the original Automatic transmission in line filter?

Hi Shane, if your TSX only has 78k on it, you may never need another car your whole life! I have the transmission flushed every 60k or so. I’m not positive about the filter. So I’ll have to look into that. But I’m pretty certain it’s been replaced. Just not sure how many times.

9. Brad Heffran says:

That is pretty amazing. You’d think at 500k there would be a good amount of wear on the piston rings and valve seats, but apparently not! That K24 is still sounding great at high revs too. Does she still have the original timing chain?

10. gardel says:

Seems like you have car for another 300k miles, sir!!

11. Kevin says:

My 06 pearl white TSX is approaching 300K KM which I believe is about 190K Miles. I am planning to keep this car for another 5 years although winter driving is a bit of a problem here in Canada. I tend to believe the way our cars are taken care of show somethings about one’s personality but that’s just me… lol In a weird way your car inspires me to not give up on my car! Keep doing what your are doing and safe travels!

12. johnclawson says:

I think you should be able to fix your navigation drive issues for free — I came across these instructions linked below while disgnosing a different issue on my ’08 Odyssey.

Essentially, you just need to open up the nav drive and clean the laser lens.

13. Justin says:

I know you have all the maintenance logs but how often did you change transmission fluid? I am looking at a used 2009 🙂